Tunxis Community College is becoming CT State Tunxis on July 1, 2023.
The CT State admissions application is now open for Fall 2023 Enrollment.
Select an application below based on when you’d like to enroll.
All continuing, degree-seeking students will become CT State students as of July 1, 2023.
Admissions Requirements for Tunxis Community College Dental Hygiene Program
- Completion of the Admission Test for Dental Hygiene (ATDH). Exam is administered through the American Dental Association. Application and guide may be found at : Admission Test for Dental Hygiene and Users Guide. Exam is $140.00. The next exam window is April 1 through May 31, 2023. Students should release scores to Tunxis Community College Dental Hygiene Program.
- Applicant must complete Chemistry 111, English Composition 101, Intermediate Algebra, and a 200 level Anatomy and Physiology I, (note Anatomy and Physiology I at Tunxis has Biology 121 as a prerequisite) with a minimum combined GPA in prerequisite courses of 2.7. A minimum of a “C” must be achieved in each prerequisite course. Pass/Fail is not accepted.
- Applicant must take science courses within 5 years of applying to the program; and all science courses must be 4 credits with on ground laboratory components. Grades will be averaged for any science course repeated within this time frame.
- Applicant must attend a dental hygiene information session. Attendance will be verified with a certificate issued by the session presenter.
- Applicant is encouraged to enroll in the Health Careers Pathway.
- Applicant is encouraged to complete general education courses prior to applying to the program.
Application Process for Admission
The applicant must submit ALL of the following by the February 1 Deadline
- All college transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation: professional or academic in nature
- A personal statement: Please provide a comprehensive biographical sketch of no more than 250 words that includes information to assist the Admissions Committee in “getting to know you better.” Examples of information that might be included in your biographical sketch include but are not limited to: details regarding dental hygiene procedures you have observed, a description of community service projects in which you have participated, and information concerning your interests, abilities and attitudes that have motivated you to make the commitment required for a career in dental hygiene.”
- Proof of a minimum of 4 hours of shadowing a licensed dental hygienist.
In addition to the admission requirements prior to the start of the first semester of the program:
- Applicant must complete a General Psychology, a 200 level Anatomy and Physiology II, Microbiology, and DHY *205 Nutrition for Health Professionals with a grade of C or better. A minimum of a “C” must be achieved in each prerequisite course. Pass/Fail is not accepted. Students must complete First Year Experience or obtain a waiver.
- If these courses are in progress at the time of interview, applicant must provide mid-terms grades for evaluation.
- Final acceptance of the applicant is contingent upon successful completion of these courses.
- Consideration is given to the number of college courses successfully completed.
Dental Hygiene Special Admissions for High School Graduates
The Tunxis Dental Hygiene Program will accept high school graduates to begin the three year sequence of courses. The applicant must meet the following admission’s criteria:
- High School Diploma
- SAT scores: Math 530 or greater, English reading score of 25+. SATs need to be taken within two years of application.
- High School GPA 3.5 or greater with evidence of Biology and Chemistry with a B+ or better.
- Two letters of recommendation.
All applicants must take prerequisite courses in the sequence provided and maintain a C or better. If a student does not maintain a C in each course, the student will not be guaranteed automatic acceptance into the Dental Hygiene Program, but may apply for the regular selective admission’s process.
Program Coordinator: Dr. Patricia Johnson