Peer Tutor Requirements
Becoming a Peer Tutor in the Academic Success & Tutoring Center is a competitive process that requires interested applicants to meet the following criteria:
- Have the patience and desire to help people.
- Be able to tutor English through Composition and/or math through Intermediate Algebra, in addition to any other course of interest.
- Have earned at least a B in Composition and/or Intermediate Algebra.
- Be currently enrolled at Tunxis with a minimum of 9 credits completed. (Please contact the Tutorial Program Coordinator if you do not meet this requirement)
- Have a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Plan to be enrolled at Tunxis for a minimum of two semesters.
- Be available to tutor between 8-20 hours per week during the academic year.
Becoming a Peer Tutor
If you meet all of the above requirements, please complete a Tutor Application (PDF) and attach a copy of your Tunxis unofficial transcript as well as transcripts from each College that you previously attended. Applications and transcripts must be emailed to [email protected] or delivered to the Academic Success & Tutoring Center by the deadline listed on the application. Once received, applications will be reviewed and finalists will be contacted for an interview.
As part of the interview process, finalists interested in tutoring English will be asked to submit a writing sample that demonstrates a well-organized paper with a clear thesis statement. The writing sample must be accompanied by a short paragraph explaining why the particular sample was chosen. Math finalists will be required to take a math assessment.
For more information, contact the Academic Success and Tutoring Center at 860.773.1530 or [email protected].