If you don’t already have a personal email address, get one. This will be needed to begin the financial aid application.
Note that after you are accepted to the College, you will be issued an official email address that ends with @student.ct.edu. At this point, the U.S. Department of Education and the Tunxis Financial Aid Office will communicate with you about your financial aid process by sending information to your Tunxis email address.
Go to fsaid.ed.gov to apply for an FSA ID
The FSA ID allows you to “sign” your federal student aid application online. Note: if you are a dependent student, a parent will also need to obtain an FSA ID.
If you have questions about the FSA ID process you can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243.
If you applied for federal student aid electronically during the previous year, you will receive a reminder, either through regular mail or email, that it’s time for you to reapply.
If you applied using a paper FAFSA in the previous year or have never applied for financial aid before go to studentaid.gov and complete the federal student aid application online. This site has a useful “pre-application worksheet” you may want to print out first. The Tunxis school code is 009764, you will need to add this code to the FAFSA in order for Tunxis to receive your information electronically by the Department of Education.
Some of the items you will need to complete your application are as follows:
- Your Social Security Number (can be found on your Social Security Card)
- Your driver’s license (if any)
- Your W-2 forms and other record of money earned for the previous tax year.
- Your (and your spouse’s, if you are married, or parents’ if you answer ‘No’ to all of the dependency questions) Federal Income Tax Return from the prior-prior year – IRS Form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ.
- Your untaxed income records – Social Security, Temporary Assistance to Needy Families, welfare or veterans benefits records
- Your bank statements
- Your business, investment and mortgage information. Business and farm records, stock, bond, and other investment records.
- Your alien registration card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
- All students (and parents, if student is dependent) must sign the FAFSA with their own FSA ID.
If you are a dependent student please refer to the Documents Needed button under “Before Beginning a FAFSA” at the FAFSA website.
After you complete your FAFSA, the federal Department Of Education will email you when they have completed processing including a link to your SAR (Student Aid Report). Use this link to see if there are any errors or omissions you must address in order to complete your FAFSA. Many of these items can be addressed by contacting our office and providing appropriate documentation.
You can track your financial aid status on line at my.commnet.edu after April 1st. The online tracking system notifies you through your Tunxis email account, first when we receive your processed application and then again if we need additional information from you to complete your file. Once you have been awarded your financial aid package, an email stating that we have made an award decision will be sent to your Tunxis email account. Once you have been notified you can view your award online by selecting the Awards option. To use your financial aid award to charge at our bookstore, simply alert the bookstore staff that you have financial aid.
Instructions for navigating the online student system can be found on our Application Status page.
Complete information about Tunxis financial aid policies and procedures is available on the Student Responsibilities page.
This is information you need!
Pay special attention to:
- Terms and conditions of financial aid awards
- Academic eligibility for student aid
- What happens to your financial aid if you withdraw
Please file your FASFA information as soon as possible but be aware that Tunxis Community College will not be able to determine your financial aid ability until you are accepted in a degree or eligible certificate program. If you are not a Tunxis student yet, apply now! You should complete your application at least twelve weeks before you want to enroll.